Believed to be one of the oldest Irish churches still in use, Tuamgraney Church was founded by St. Cronan, Abbot of Clonmacnoise, in the 10th century. Its believed that Brian Boru, the legendary High King of Ireland, frequently visited here. He’s also thought to have repaired the ancient building in 1000.
Access to the Church is limited but the spectacular doorway is one of the main features of interest and can be viewed without going inside. The Church is referenced in the book “Doorways of Ireland” and a huge lintel stone is resting on the inclining jambs. It is possible that Brian Boru himself may have walked through this doorway. Inside the church is a large collection of Romanesque fragments.